Monday, June 11, 2012

The Cloak - Book Review

I read the best book last week! Seriously. The Cloak by James Gough is like a new Harry Potter and I really enjoyed it! A full 5 out of 5 stars!


I have been wanting a good, clean, fun book for a while, and yet most of the books I read were not as clean as I hoped. I heard about this one through my publisher, as James Gough is one of their fellow authors, and to be honest, that is the only reason I started reading it. Usually YA fantasy books aren't my thing.

But the minute I started reading, I was hooked! Great characters, thoroughly believable storyline, and lots of twists and turns. Will Tuttle, the protagonist, had a sad, lonely childhood. Allergic to everything that wasn't manufactured before 1960, he lives his life in a latex bubble. Bland, 50 year old spam would probably make me alot more angry at life than Will is in the book. He is easy going, timid and everything you would expect a boy like him to be.

Then, all of a sudden, his entire life changes, He sees things... creatures that only exist in fairytales and in Greek mythology. Centaurs, men with beaks and feathers, half girl, half bat creatures. And they are shocked to find out that Will can see them. They are, after all, supposed to be cloaked with a magic shield to keep them out of sight.

And, as Will enters this world, his own world changes forever as he becomes hunted by those who wish to silence him.

This was a joy to read. I fully recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed Harry Potter, Twilight or any other book bathed in legend. Excellent read.

PS - If you are interested in another YA book from WiDo Publishing, check out Tanned, Toned and Totally Faking It,  the story of Mikayla Rivers who, overnight, almost, finds herself the new Justin Bieber, America's favourite popstar. She is forced to deal with her own stardom, along with a dirty, rotten, cheating ex boyfriend, a psychotic and fame hungry manager, and the new love of her life, who she hasn't told who she is. And he won't be too thrilled if he finds out. One lie turns into a huge mess in this fast, fun, summer novel! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment