Friday, September 13, 2013

Sabroso - a fab new Calgary restaurant!

We went to Sabroso (a new restaurant that opeed up on 16th Ave in Calgary recently) last night to celebrate my brother's bar call (yay, he is officially a liar...I mean, lawyer... now. Shifty eyes.) Seriously, though, it was a very exciting day for him and our family. We are all quite proud of him and to celebrate, we went to Sabroso.

John Gilchrist, a CBC food critic, rated Sabroso one of five restaurants to check out in the fall. And it is delicious, so I can see why he said to go there!

How to describe it... it's latin food, but not tacos and burritos. It's much more of a high class dining experience. There were grilled shrimp skewers and scallop/mango salsas for appetizers along with calamari and delicious potato wedges. All very tasty. Then for the main course, I went with a Vera Cruz snapper dish... the fish was cooked perfectly and was served with seasonal vegetables. Stephen had chicken with a really yummy rice and bean and corn salsa. Everyone at the table enjoyed their food... especially Jake, who gleefully made a mess, especially of the churros that we got for dessert. Churros are sort of a donut, only thinner and a bit crispier and served with chocolate sauce. Very yummy.

It's also very affordable. The dishes were from about $13 up to around $20 for the most expensive. Not bad at all for a high quality menu.

I love food. I was probably a very large, happy chef in a previous life, because food gives me a lot of joy. And this restaurant did not disappoint. Even the location isn't too bad... in my head I thought that 16th Ave would be an nightmare because of traffic and parking, but it wasn't that bad. There is parking behind the restaurant, and traffic wasn't even horrible.

So... next time you are in Calgary, check them out!

Oh - and did I mention? The owners are my sister-in-law's brothers. So good food, good people who run the place. Definitely worth your while. To check out the menu, visit http://sabrosos.ca/ and you can see for yourself.

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment